Bike To Work
It’s Easier Than You Think!
Give Biking to Work a Try
· Are high gas prices hitting you hard in the pocket book?
· Are you finding it hard to make time to exercise?
· Do you feel like you are cooped up indoors much of the day?
It does not take much to become a bike commuter. All you need is a bike, some pre-planning, and a little advice from those who bike to work regularly. Our statewide bike to work events in May demonstrated that biking to work is a viable way to go. Now is the time to make it a habit!
· Bike Walk CT is sponsoring additional bike to work breakfasts through the summer on the third Friday of the month (June 15, July 20, and August 17). The breakfasts will run from 6:30 AM to 9 AM and will be located at the Old State House in downtown Hartford.
· UConn Health center will hold events on the fourth Friday of the month:
- Friday, June 22, 2012, 6:30-8:30 am, Raindate June 25, 2012
- Friday, July 27, 2012, 6:30-8:30 am, Raindate July 30, 2012
- Friday, Aug 24, 2012 6:30-8:30 am, Raindate Aug 24, 2012
o Friday, Sept 21, 2012 6:30-8:30 am, Raindate Sept 24, 2012
Pratt & Whitney and Goodwin College are sponsoring a bike to work breakfast on Thursday July 19, 6:30 to 9 am, on Main street near the P&W entrance. The breakfast will be located just North of East Hartford tire adjacent to the new Goodwin College community gardens.
· Elm City Cyclists is sponsoring Bike to Work Breakfasts on the third Friday of the month at Pitkin Plaza, Orange St between Chapel & Court, New Haven from 7:30 to 9:30 AM, year round .:
Tips to Get You Started: If you have a bicycle, you could become a bike commuter. Biking to work is for everyone – women, men, young, old. We have some tips to help you get into the saddle. Take a commute class
Join the Challenge: The League of American Bicyclists, Kimberly Clark Corporation, and Bikes Belong challenge ... you to ride your bike from May 1 to August 31. The challenge rewards riders who get on their bikes regularly – you earn 20 points every day you ride. It is easy to track your bicycling, to become part of a team, and to see how Connecticut compares to the rest of the country. And you may win a prize!
Bike Everywhere: Now that you are biking to work,why stop there? Bike Everywhere is about using your bike for transportation instead of your car. Think of all the places you can get to on your bike. Bike to the grocery store, the movies, restaurants. Maybe you will eventually be able to save on the cost of owning a car!
Cycling to work can produce untold benefits to those who care to give it a try: from the immediate cost savings to the more subtle changes in health and well-being. And in the words of CT DEEP Commissioner Dan Esty, Any day that begins with a bike ride is a good day!